Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Field Trip

I went on my first field trip as Mrs. Wickman today. I went with Hannah's first grade class on their first class visit to the public library. They are learning all about the library and how things are organized, why you have to be quiet and the special things a public library has that the school library doesn't. I had and absolute blast! The kids crack me. First graders are so little yet try to act so big.
This trip also broke my heart. So many kids that are just longing for some attention and love from anyone. They are sent to school in dirty clothes, smell like smoke and who knows what else. One little boy in particular was misbehaving while crossing the street and when I told him I was going to have to hold his hand because he was not being safe, he smiled and held my hand the rest of the way to the library. He behaved just fine after that. He was just looking for a little love, even in a small way.
What a reminder to pray for kids. We never know when we are talking to kids where they are coming from, but we do know that they all need to know about how much God loves them.

12 comments:

Jenny LaBo said...

Oh Pam. I am so glad you got to touch that boy's life today.
Planting seeds my friend.

Kelly Glupker said...

I think we would be amazed at how many children come from bad homes. It is sad. I hope you have another opportunity to bless this boy.

Pam said...

I get to go to Hannah's class every Tuesday, so hopefully I'll get to be involved with this little guy more.

Jenny LaBo said...

Excellent!

Anonymous said...

Pam,
Tell Chris I want to leave him a message on his blog, but you have to be a blogger to do so. Can he change that??

Kelly Glupker said...

Cathy,
Just start a blog!:)

Anonymous said...

Hey Mary Ann!! Are you being mean to me???

Chris said...

Hey mom,
Kelly's right, just start a blog!!

Chris said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kelly Glupker said...

No Ms. Bates, I am trying to encourage you, not be mean to you! :)

Pam said...

I told her the same thing Kelly. Wouldn't it be nice to hear from her AND see pictures!

Jenny LaBo said...

oh pictures would be nice.
Cathy start a blog.