Thursday, July 03, 2008

I AM Proud to Be an American


I'm proud to be an American

Where at least I know I'm free

And I won't forget the men who died

Who gave that right to me

And I gladly stand up

Next to you and defend her still today

Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land

God Bless the U.S.A.


- Lee Greenwood


Little James' class sang that song at the end of the year program. The program was only 20 minutes long but they sang a bunch of patriotic songs. James said after that he felt really proud to be an American just like that song. He even got a bit choked up. Of course I got really choked up. He is just starting to grasp what freedom is and how soldiers died to give that to us. While I hate war, who doesn't? It was and is so necessary for the lives we lead today. I'm so thankful for the men and women that defend me and my family every day.

James' reminder has stuck with me and even more so as we start our 4th of July celebration. We all should be so proud to be Americans. We are free to talk with our children everyday about the love God has for us. We are free to go to church, read our Bible in public, and so many many more things that other countries don't tolerate. As you BBQ and get together with family and friends, thank the Lord for your freedoms. Pray for our soldiers that are keeping war off our soil, and pray for the leaders of our country that they may lead in a way that preserves the freedom that we have.

2 comments:

Kentucky Kate said...

Well said.

Kara said...

That's amazing that little James is so aware of that already, what a kid.