Friday, February 27, 2009

Science in the Kitchen

Last night we had a science night. Little James got a package of frozen mice for his pet snake and it came in dry ice. (Yes, I hate snakes. But I love my kid) So, we had some fun with the dry ice. We made fog by putting warm water on it. The fog went everywhere. Everyone got to blow bubbles and watch them bounce off the "force field" the carbon monoxide created. What was really cool was when one bubble broke through the force field and touched the dry ice. It froze instantly! So cool! Hannah was bouncing and squealing the whole time :) James was equally as silly over how neat it all was. Evan even had to be up in the excitement. Don't worry Mom, we didn't let him go near anything too close. Oh, we also put a small piece of dry ice in a flat balloon and as it melted the gases blew the balloon up. We had fun!!



6 comments:

Liz K said...

How Fun! I want to come live at your house! You let your kids have icky animals, you do science experiments in the kitchen and you get to go to fun places like Castaway Cafe! How cool!

Kara said...

Cooooooooool!

Anonymous said...

You could raise your own mice and use the dry ice to euthanize them. Save on the shipping of mice... I'm just saying :p

(http://www.anapsid.org/co2.html)

Pam said...

Liz - If only our life really was so exciting. Lets just say it's been an exciting week. My kids still say "nothing" when asked what they did that day.
Pet Snakes - I really stretched myself letting a snake in my home and frozen mice in my freezer. Live mice that I would have to freeze myself will never be an option. The cost of shipping is minimal in contrast.

chris k said...

That is very cool. Trevor would have loved it. About the mice thing...I think that you win the coolest mom ever award!!!!

Amanda Irene said...

Keeewwlllll!!