Saturday, January 09, 2010

I've never done a book review

I'm going to do my first book review. Why not right?

I have been reading "The Joy of a Word Filled Family" again this month. It is written by Dr. John Barnett. He is a great speaker and his writing is just as good. Not very "entertaining" but full of scripture. It's a really practical study of God's Word from the viewpoint of raising a family, or being a spouse.
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth 3 John 4

I think when I read that verse over and over in this book, I can't help but think how much I want that for my kids. Although there is no doubt in my mind that I will love them no matter what choices they make, who doesn't want their child living a life that pleases God.
We have such a responsibility when we raise our kids. We show them by example of what a marriage should look like. How a Godly woman or man should live. How we should respond to God even in SMALL things that seem unimportant but can ultimately lead to sin.
I have a long way to go in raising a family. A LOOONG way! Especially since I have one child still in the womb. :) I do look at my parents that two kids in their 30's and see that they still are "raising" us without even knowing it. Maybe they do! They are not perfect, but we sure know what God's Word says about life, and we learned it first from them, and they are still passing along his Word to us. I want to parent like that.
Back to the book, This book gives not only a a significant section to read on many topics from Adversity to Wives...it has an appendix of verses to pray for your children and spouse each day and how to develop a time with our family with the Word. If you wonder how God's Word fits into every aspect of you life, there is most likely a section on it. Enjoy God's Word along with wisdom from a mature Christian man that is raising 8 children. I know I have.
You can find Dr. John Barnett online http://www.dtbm.org/. He has this book in his resources and you can also listen to him at oneplace.com

1 comment:

Jenny LaBo said...

Thanks Pam! I will have to check this book out :)